Connecting Asian with Overseas Education
Work Opportunities
Most of the colleges and universities allow international students to work on-campus as part-time. Students who are on F-1 visas can work on-campus up to 20 hours a week during course time and up to 40 hours a week in their vacation, semester holidays and summer time. Students are paid an hourly rate approximately from $ 8.00 USD to $ 15.00 USD depending on the role of the job and these earnings help them to cover their living expenses. Most of the students are placed in jobs based on their experience, financial need and personal/communication skills. For example, a student who has good English speaking and communication skills may be placed at a university library where someone who has a lifeguard certification may be placed at the campus Aquatic Center.
Students are allowed to work as interns in their respective academic areas in small companies to large organizations during course and vacation time. These internships are considered to be the best and valuable part of the student's academics which help them to gain practical experience during course time. Most universities also offer academic credits for the internship experience.
After graduation, international students are allowed to work full-time for one year in their respective fields to gain practical experience. As of 2008, students in certain subject areas can extend this up to 17 months. This extension of program is called Optional Practical Training (OPT). Many talented students are hired as permanent employees as soon as they finish their OPT program by getting a sponsorship from their employers for an H-1 visa. The H-1B visa is a temporary work permit visa given to foreign nationals to work in specialized areas like Software, Teaching, Marketing Engineering and Marketing etc. The international students have a chance to continue their jobs without leaving USA after this status change approval.
Copyright@ 2012 CIECON Network Inc. All rights reserved.
Unauthorized access prohibited. Contact the web master to report any problems.