Connecting Asian with Overseas Education
Work Opportunities
If you have been granted Permission to Work, there are restrictions on the number of hours you can work. If you were granted a Student visa on or after 26 April 2008, you and your dependent family members will already have Permission to Work automatically included with your visa. If you were granted a Student visa before 26 April 2008 and have not yet applied for Permission to Work, you and your family members may only apply for Permission to Work after you have started your course in Australia.
You cannot undertake work until you have commenced your course in Australia. When your course has commenced you can work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the term and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.
Dependent family members granted Permission to Work who
  • Can work up to 20 hours per week at all times
  • Must not start work until the primary visa holder has commenced the course in Australia
  • Have unlimited work rights if the primary visa holder has commenced a course towards a masters or doctorate degree
The department considers your course to be in session:
  • For the duration of the advertised semesters (including periods when exams are being held)
  • If you have completed your studies and your Confirmation of Enrolment is still in effect
  • If you are undertaking another course, during a break from your main course and the points will be credited to your main course.
Research students
You can work unlimited hours if you are a PhD or Masters student and you have submitted your thesis for marking.
Copyright@ 2012 CIECON Network Inc. All rights reserved.
Unauthorized access prohibited. Contact the web master to report any problems.